Monday, July 21, 2008

It's a New CAR!


The assignment for my Technical communication class was to go shopping where a salesman earns commission (ie a car dealership) once dressed nicely and another time not dressed nicely. The point was to note the difference in how I was treated.

On Saturday I went to the Brent Brown Auto dealership in Provo. I went directly after my softball game that morning, so I was sweaty, dirty, and not dressed appropriately. I expected to be somewhat shunned because of my appearance and to not be taken seriously. What I found, however, was the contrary.

As soon as I pulled up I had sales associate waiting for me. He was very friendly and very interested in showing me anything I might be interested in. I like trucks and one day I would love to own a truck. So he showed me some of the brand new 2008 Dodge Rams and Dodge Durangos, which are definitely out of my price range. As soon as I even expressed any interest at all we were already test driving. I was honest with him in that I did not try to hide the fact that I was a student supporting a wife and child. However, I never mentioned that there was no possible way I could afford a car right now. Even so, I would have expected him to at least play me down and try to sell me something more affordable.

After test driving the next truck, which was still beyond my purchasing capabilities, I was met by a more experienced salesman. He caught on pretty quick and immediately began to steer me away from big expensive trucks towards smaller, less expensive, and more family-friendly SUV’s. Although it was still out of my real price range, I gave him reason to believe that I would be interested in buying a used 2008 Jeep Liberty. I was very surprised on account of my appearance when he insisted that I take it home for the day to show my wife and get a feel for driving it. I’ll admit, if it weren’t for the fact that I have no money whatsoever, I probably would have bought it.

Phase two began when I took the car back. I showered and dressed up in a nice polo and church slacks, giving the appearance that I had money. I took the car for a nice, long, test drive and then headed back to the dealership. I expected them to be all over me trying to sell me the car then and there. The more experienced salesman was not fooled, however, and did not even make an offer. He kindly turned me away and encouraged me to return to him when I was in more of a situation to make that kind of purchase.

I was shocked. I was treated great when I was inappropriately dressed but I wasn’t treated as well when I was dressed nicely. I guess that had to do with the inexperience of the first salesman, but even the experienced salesman let me take the car home. He did notice my change in appearance later on, but still essentially told me to take a hike. The moral of the story is car buying is best done when you’re sweaty. And it doesn’t hurt to throw in a little dirt for good measure.

2 comments:

Bryson Perkins said...

Good to know! I'll keep it in mind the next time I'm in the market for a new car.

Fran Ross said...

I love that you said sweaty. You can drive our truck all you want when you come and visit.